[ESS] ESS with Vista

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Mar 19 09:18:32 CET 2009

    SpG> Hi, All:

    SpG> What is required to make "ctrl-tab" switch between buffers in
    SpG> Emacs+ESS?  I get "<C-tab> is undefined".

I'm pretty sure this first question has nothing to do with
'Vista',  hence, I'm interested to answer it (;-)

AFAIK,  C-[Tab] has never been defined for me in emacs.
There's  'C-x b' or  'C-x o' (and others)  that are useful for switching
buffers, and if you want you can decide to  bind  C-[Tab] to one
of those.   But to which one would you want ?

Regards,
Martin

    SpG> Also, what is required to get "Current Directory" to appear as the
    SpG> default "File name" when clicking the "R" icon in a *.R buffer?  I
    SpG> currently get a blank space.  When I type "Current Directory" in that
    SpG> space, R opens normally.

    SpG> I'm encountering these problems after installing Emacs + ESS
    SpG> following Vincent Gouet's instructions to the best of my ability under
    SpG> Vista earlier today.  Neither of these problems occur for me using Emacs
    SpG> + ESS under Windows XP.  I can't see any substantive differences between
    SpG> the "site-start.el" files on the two computers.

AFAIK, many people feel that to downgrade from Vista to XP
really feels like an upgrade for them.
[ Of course, they have never upgraded to Ubuntu Linux or Mac OS X,
   or they would know even better  ;-) :-) ]