[ESS] First steps

baptiste auguie bapt4510 at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 26 14:16:05 CEST 2009

Dear list,

I apologize for the really basic questions, but I'm completely new to
emacs. I used to use Textmate with R.app on a Mac, but I'd like to
switch to aquamacs now. I've installed this version,

GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.6.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0)
 of 2009-02-18 on plume.sr.unh.edu - Aquamacs Distribution 1.7

ESS version 5.3.6

The minor annoyances I'm facing are the following,

i) how do you type the assignment operator <- more efficiently than
with the 4 keystrokes I just used? (space on both sides)

ii) with a comma-separated list (e.g. seq( 1, 3, by=0.1) is there a
way to get automatic spacing after the commas whilst typing?

iii) is there a trick to get automatic pairing of open brackets? (say,
if i type "plot(" i'd like automatic completion with the closing
bracket ")".

I found lots of useful tips in the ESS-reference card, but nothing on
these three particular points.

Any input will be much appreciated!

Sincerely,

baptiste