[ESS] paragraph filling in R scripts

Dr. Alun Pope AlunPope at rismark.com.au
Sat Jun 13 10:48:25 CEST 2009

Hi Tyler,

Thanks for looking at this.  I have not encountered the problem you
mention, but I have come across the following problem which is related.

Suppose I have a perfectly good expression such as this

very.long.meaningful.object.name[some.indexing.also.long,] <-
some.longish.expressions

(the whole thing on one line, although your email may show it
differently)

When I tidy the code by end-delete-return on that line, the line appears
as:

very.long.meaningful.object.name[some.indexing.also.long,]
<- some.longish.expressions

(in case your email won't show this correctly - the second line begins
with <- )

Unfortunately this changes a syntactically expression into two
expressions, one syntactically correct and one not, since an expression
can't start with an assignment.   This causes source() to complain.

My question is : does your solution or something similar fix this
problem too?

I am sorry for not giving more comprehensive details, I was going to do
an example etc and give version numbers etc, but since you raised this,
I thought I might as well ask quickly, in case you already have a
solution.

Many thanks.

Alun