[ESS] ess-remote with ansi-term?

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Fri Jun 12 21:32:38 CEST 2009

On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 11:43 -0700, Vinh Nguyen wrote:
> 1.  I suppose you are excuting 'emacs -nw' in screen?
Sometimes, but usually I just don't ssh in X mode (I have to request it
explicitly with ssh -X in my setup).
> 2.  if you are running the GUI version of emacs in screen and is able
> to restore it later after logging out, please do share your info or
> point me to some references.  thanks.  even if this is possible, I
> don't like running the gui version of emacs remotely because it can be
> slow at times (or most of the times for me).  what i'm trying to do is
> run everything from my local emacs.  i'm utilizing ansi-term, ess,
> tramp, and i'm loving it.  this ess-remote in ansi-term is the only
> obstable i'm getting in my path to doing all of my statistical things
> in emacs.
One of the reasons is I avoid the X interface is speed; remote emacs is
pretty snappy for me in terminal mode (1.5Mb DSL).

I recall the Debian reference saying there was some X equivalent to
screen, but I don't see any mention of it in the current version
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/.

Ross