[ESS] ess-remote and shell-mode

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Fri Jun 12 20:16:22 CEST 2009

I'm running R under openmpi by starting emacs, opening a shell, giving
the command 'mpirun -np 8 --hostfile hosts RMPIInteractive' which leaves
me in the head R session.  Then I use ess-remote on that session.

The problem comes when I quit R.  The buffer remains in iESS mode, and
shell commands I type at the prompt don't seem to work.  If I say M-x
shell-mode then the shell starts working, and I can repeat the whole
process.

Is there a better way to handle this?  Ideally, ess would be able to
tell when I was done with R and revert to the previous mode.  (Even more
ideally it would automatically re-activate iEss mode when I retstarted
R).

A somewhat related problem, though I think it's more of an MPI issue, is
that the R session I launch does not think it is interactive.  This
makes error handling awkard.

I'd appreciate any suggestsion.
Thanks.
--
Ross Boylan                                      wk:  (415) 514-8146
185 Berry St #5700                               ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Dept of Epidemiology and Biostatistics           fax: (415) 514-8150
University of California, San Francisco
San Francisco, CA 94107-1739                     hm:  (415) 550-1062