[ESS] How to avoid garbled characters in output with noweb-mode

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Jan 31 10:28:50 CET 2009

    RMH> I think the easiest way is use the R option
    RMH> options(useFancyQuotes=FALSE)

    RMH> to tell R to use "'" and not "'" and "'"

yes (where the "not .. and .. " really should contain Unicode (UTF-8)
backquotes and forward quotes.

An alternative that I have not tested for this specific case,
but we have been using when working with German umlauts, French
accents, etc is to allow LaTeX to work automatically with
(many/most) unicode characters *in*  the *.tex file :

\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

in the preamble of your *.tex / *.Rnw document.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich