[ESS] Windows Vista and Emacs/ESS

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Thu Jan 22 16:24:45 CET 2009

Paul Johnson wrote:
> I told my students that it was easiest to install the Emacs for
> windows that already has ESS in it.  I mean the one that Vincent
> Goulet provides
>
> http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/emacs/
>
> Today a student came in with a Laptop that had this strange operating
> system called "Windows Vista" :)
>
> When he starts emacs and opens an R file, and then clicks on R to
> start R, a window pops up asking him to choose a directory for data.
> no matter what we do with that GUI, no matter what directory we pick,
> the window does not respond. Keep clicking OK forever, nothing
> happened.
>
> It is lucky for us that I'm old school, and showed him the old M-x R
> trick, and within Emacs itself we could set a working directory.
>
> Have you seen this problem?
>
> Until now, I have studiously avoided any Vista and I've tried to
> actually maintain a pure Linux frame of mind.  But these students keep
> buying hardware in the marketplace and there's nothing I can see to
> stop them :(
>
> pj

I have seen something similar due to security.  Is that turned on?
I don't use Vista, or Windows XP much, but Windows 2000 had the same
sort of problem if Norton Antivirus was enabled.  If you disabled,
Norton Antivirus the problem goes away.  If you search the archives,
you will probably find this nugget about 8 years ago (if they go
back that far).

Rodney