[ESS] Issue with error/warning messages in Emacs.app

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Fri Jan 16 18:47:03 CET 2009

Hi all,

Tired of deactivating many "features" of Aquamacs (an OS X-ified
version of Emacs), I decided to build my own distribution of Emacs for
OS X along the same lines as my Windows distribution. It is based on
Emacs.app, with the addition of ESS, AUCTeX and Aspell. See

	http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/emacs/mac

for details and if you want to become some sort of a beta tester.

Anyway, the point of my message was not to make an announcement, but
rather to report a problem. In an iESS buffer, error and warning
messages are somewhat garbled. For example:

 > 1:12 + 1:5
  [1]  2  4  6  8 10  7  9 11 13 15 12 14
Warning message:
In 1:12 + 1:5 :
   la taille d'un objet plus long n'est pas multiple de la taille d'un
objet plus court

What can be the cause of the problem? A misconfiguration on my part?
Emacs? ESS?

Thanks in advance for any clue.

Emacs is: GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.6.0, NS apple-
appkit-949.43) compiled by myself based on the CVS version of
2009-01-13.

ESS is 5.3.10

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.8.1 (2008-12-22)
i386-apple-darwin8.11.1

locale:
fr_CA.UTF-8/fr_CA.UTF-8/C/C/fr_CA.UTF-8/fr_CA.UTF-8

attached base packages:

---
   Vincent Goulet
   Acting Chair, Associate Professor