[ESS] latin-1 in windows

pleydell at supagro.inra.fr pleydell at supagro.inra.fr
Wed Jan 7 12:24:53 CET 2009

> Hi Dave:
>
> Does that work?  I thought that set-buffer-process-coding-system was
> a variable that was designed for setting the encoding/decoding for a
> specific subprocess rather than for all subprocesses.  But, maybe I'm
> wrong.
>
> Rodney

Here's a late follow up on last years latin-1 thread.

I've got the following in .emacs

;; begin
(load "c:/Program Files/emacs/site-lisp/ess/lisp/ess-site")
(setq load-path (cons(expand-file-name
      "c:/Program Files/emacs/site-lisp/ess/lisp/ess-site") load-path ))
(autoload 'R "ess-site" "" t)
(add-hook 'ess-post-run-hook (function (
      lambda () (set-buffer-process-coding-system 'latin-1 'latin-1))))
;; end

and the following in c:/Program Files/emacs/site-lisp/ess/lisp/ess-site.el

;; begin
(set-buffer-process-coding-system 'latin-1 'latin-1)
;; end

Now things appear to work great, the latin-1 characters are displaying and
functioning properly without having to manually "M-x
set-buffer-process-coding-system" each time I start emacs.

happy new year to all and thanks for your words of wisdom
David