[ESS] (ess-ask-about-transfile t) problem

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Dec 4 08:42:27 CET 2009

    SE> Kjetil Halvorsen <kjetil1001 at gmail.com> wrote:
    >> I experimented putting
    >> (setq   ess-ask-about-transfile t)
    >> in my .emacs   file. Then, when starting a new R process in emacs and
    >> giving a transcript file name, R starts in a READONLY buffer, so I can give
    >> no commands!
    >>
    >> That can't be the intention???

yes, it has been the intention [and yes, sometimes this
is inconvenient]:

The idea has probably always been that an R output file
is something "precious" that you don't want to accidentally change:
most of those I use are 'foo.Rout' , the result of
R CMD BATCH foo.R  and I'd typically use BATCH for expensive
long simulations.

When this feature had been introduced (in 'S-mode'),
for S transcripts, more than 20 years ago (~ ten years before R was "born")
emacs users were more sophisticated in using and knowing key
strokes {Emacs 18.x and 19.x had no menus IIRC}, and the
developers back then will have assumed --- most
probably correctly --- that all users would know   C-x C-q.

So far the historical background.

I'm not against giving up this feature of protecting precious
output from accidental user modification, but neither will I
implement the change and modify the documentation in the correct
places.
(but others are very welcome to !)

Martin