[ESS] Skeleton pair insert not working after upgrade.

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Fri Aug 28 16:00:50 CEST 2009

On Aug 28, 2009, at 8:34 AM, Vitalie S. wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 06:19:07 +0200, S. McKay Curtis <smcurtis at stat.washington.edu
> > wrote:
>
>> Marc,
>>
>> Misery loves company, so I'm glad you were able to replicate my
>> troubles!
>>
>> I am having the problem on Windows XP.
>>
>> I'm not an Emacs guru, but the file ess-mode.el contains this
>> statement
>>
>>  (define-key ess-mode-map "("  ;; allow to toggle after
>> customization:
>>    (if ess-r-args-electric-paren 'ess-r-args-auto-show 'self-insert-
>> command))

> ess-r-args-auto-show  uses (insert "(") to trigger (skeletion-pair-
> insert-maybe nil) which is bound globally to "(". But in emacs 23
> that does not work any more.
>
> So, just as a quick fix :
>
> (define-key ess-mode-map (kbd "(") '(lambda () (interactive)
> 					(skeleton-pair-insert-maybe nil)
> 					(ess-r-args-show)))

<snip>

That does not work for me.  However, commenting out the two lines that
McKay referenced in ess-mode.el DOES solve the problem with parens.

I have not yet tried to do anything with electric braces along the
same lines, as the skeleton pairing does not work in ESS[S] mode for
braces.

 From what I can tell the referenced code in ess-mode.el has been
around since at least ESS 5.3.6, so that is not even close to being new.

FWIW, I completely stripped my .emacs file of everything except
other Emacs related settings or other "stuff" that seems to be
effectual here.

So the questions:

1. Why does Vinh not have this same problem on OSX with emacs 23? What
is different on his system?

2. What has happened recently to alter this behavior, which given that
McKay is on Windows, is clearly not limited to OSX or any of the
recent updates released by Apple.

3. Since I was able to replicate the problematic behavior with
Aquamacs, which is based on Emacs 22, this is not limited to Emacs 23.

I am running:

   GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.8.0, NS apple-
appkit-949.54) of 2009-08-27

with ESS 5.4.

Still head scratching....especially since for the life of me, I can't
figure out why I had not noticed this change before now...

Marc