[ESS] ESS works but key bindings don't

Brad Friedman friedm at MCB.harvard.edu
Fri Aug 21 01:04:15 CEST 2009

I just installed ESS on Ubuntu linux using

  sudo apt-get install ess

I also added

  (require 'ess-site)

to my .emacs file. If I open a .R script in emacs I can start the R
process with "M-x R" but "C-c C-n" doesn't seem to work to send lines or
regions to the R process. It just says "C-c C-n in undefined" in the
minibuffer. I can send lines the hard way using M-x
ess-eval-line-and-step. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Brad

P.S. This is my .emacs file:

(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 '(inhibit-startup-screen t)
 '(show-paren-mode t)
 '(transient-mark-mode t))
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 )

(defalias 'perl-mode 'cperl-mode)
;(setq cperl-invalid-face (quote off))
(setq c-basic-offset 2)