[ESS] step by step tutorial to beginning of R programming by Emacs+ESS on MS Windows

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 5 11:02:54 CEST 2009

Mao Jianfeng <jianfeng.mao at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear ESS-listers,
>
> I am now asking for step by step tutorial to beginning of R programming by
> Emacs+ESS on MS Windows. Though it was appreciated highly,  there is much
> troubles we must conquered  before we set up R programming by Emacs+ESS,
> especially for users of MS Windows and who without extensive programming
> backgroud.
>
> I need some easy to follow guides (any books, articles, websites or blogs)
> on installation, configuration, writing of simple R programming and its
> execution  by Emacs+ESS on MS Windows.
>
> If there is not this kind of guides, can anyone set up a websites or blogs
> aiming to promotion of R programming by Emacs+ESS?
>
> I think that many R-users will benefit from your advice and recommendations.
>
> I have gotten a suggestion of surfing the website below. In fact, that is
> very useful on my problem.
> http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Books/Companion/ESS/
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Yours,
> Mao Jian-Feng

Hi,

what would be great is some videos to help people get started - but that
takes a lot of effort, any volunteers out there?

In the meantime, I hope you are using Vincent's version of Emacs, which
comes preinstalled with ESS for Windows users.

  http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/ressources/emacs/

Stephen