[ESS] ess-display-help-on-object doesn't work in edit buffer

Stavros Macrakis macrakis at alum.mit.edu
Wed Apr 22 20:44:36 CEST 2009

C-c C-v (ess-display-help-on-object) in an ESS-mode edit buffer gives
the error message "No ESS process is associated with this buffer now".

This contradicts the documentation:
     From within the ESS process buffer <<<or any ESS edit buffer>>>,
typing C-c C-v (ess-display-help-on-object) will prompt you ....

I can reproduce this not only in an Emacs where I have a *R* buffer
with a running process, but also in a fresh Emacs with no R processes
at all.

C-c C-v works fine in the *R* buffer and in *help[R] (...)* buffers.

Thanks,

           -s

ESS 5.3.10
R 2.8.1