[ESS] trace(zapsmall, edit=TRUE) problem under ESS?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Sep 26 12:40:50 CEST 2008

Hello:

	  I have an ESS problem with an example in Chambers (2008) Software for
Data Analysis (Springer, p. 70):  He describes using "trace(zapsmall,
edit=TRUE)", which gives me the following:

 > trace(zapsmall, edit=TRUE)
Error in edit(name, file, title, editor) :
   unable to run editor 'gnuclient.exe'

	  I asked John about this.  He replied, "I don't use ESS to run
examples, but I recollect this question was discussed on the ESS mailing
list."

	  If someone can help me with this, it will likely help more than just
me, because it will likely go into a script file in the SoDA package,
companion to Chambers (2008), following the Bates model in
"system.file('scripts', package='nlme')".

      Thanks,
      Spencer

SESSION INFO:

Running ESS 5.3.8 with
GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
of 2008-09-06 on SOFT-MJASON

sessionInfo()
R version 2.7.2 (2008-08-25)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United
States.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United
States.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages: