[ESS] ess stata won't start

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Fri Sep 5 23:19:26 CEST 2008

 > Hi Rodney,
 >
 > I agree, since it only stopped working a few days ago.  Stata has
always been a link and it worked fine under emacs.  Anyway, problem
resolved and I am still happy with ubuntu...  Can you use Unix(tm) on a pc?

 > Thanks,
 >
 > Xiang

Hi Xiang:

Sure, and it's free too!  See Solaris 10/OpenSolaris or their GenUnix
variants and FreeBSD.  Of course, you'll need to find a version that has
all of the drivers that you need.  So, it's not a slam dunk, but it's
pretty close nowadays.

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp for Solaris 10/OpenSolaris

or http://www.genunix.org/ for GenUnix variants

and http://www.freebsd.org/ for FreeBSD

There are others as well like Darwin, but I think Solaris 10/OpenSolaris
and FreeBSD are probably the most well-known and which you are most
likely to see in action.  For commercial software, like Stata, your best
bet is probably Solaris 10.