[ESS] ESS on unix cluster

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Fri Oct 31 17:04:45 CET 2008

Marie-Pierre Sylvestre wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have happily been using ESS on Linux for years. I now have been granted an
> account on a Unix cluster for which I obviously don't have the administrator
> privileges.
>
> R has already been installed by the administrator, and I can use it. I now
> would like to have ESS, but without going through the administrator. Is this
> feasible?
>
> I have already downloaded and decompressed ESS. Could someone give me
> precise instructions as to what to do next to install it locally? Please do
> not simply refer me to the installation guide, as I have tried to follow it,
> but without success.
>
> I hope someone can help me with that. Best regards,
>
> MP

Hi:

Why don't you want a pointer to the instructions?  It describes exactly
what you want better than I can put together in an email (and it works
too).  As far as I can tell, what you are looking for is foreshadowed on
line 1 of <http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/ess.html#Installation>:

1. cd to a directory where you keep emacs lisp files, or create a new
directory (for example, $HOME/emacs) to hold the distribution. This
directory will be referred to below as "the ESS distribution directory".

Hmmm...  Does it help if I add that "the ESS distribution directory" is
represented in the documentation by ESSDIR?

--
Rodney Sparapani      Center for Patient Care & Outcomes Research (PCOR)
Sr. Biostatistician              http://www.mcw.edu/pcor