[ESS] trace(zapsmall, edit=TRUE) problem under ESS?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sun Oct 12 18:07:51 CEST 2008

Dear Richard:

      Thanks for the reply.  With your help, I got it to work.

      This brings me back to the main question in my first post in this
thread.  Chambers (2008) Software for Data Analysis (Springer) includes
the following example on p. 70:

           trace(zapsmall, edit=TRUE)

      This malfunctioned for me under ESS (XEmacs 21.4.20 with ESS 5.3.6
and GNU Emacs 22.3.1 with ESS 5.3.8) but worked with Rterm 2.7.2.  John
noted, "This has nothing to do with the example or, really, with trace.
... One needs to set the editor to something that works with the GUI
you're using (many GUI's do this themselves)."

      Might it be feasible to get changes like you described into a
future release of ESS so ESS users could get this example to work with
little or no extra effort?  If yes, can I do something to facilitate
that (without learning Lisp)?

      Thanks again,
      Spencer Graves