[ESS] trace(zapsmall, edit=TRUE) problem under ESS?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Nov 17 09:27:47 CET 2008

    RMH> emacsclient works with gnue emacs on windows almost out of the box.

That's good news!

Can other Windows users confirm that?

    RMH> You need the following two lines in your site-start.el

    RMH> (server-start)
    RMH> (load-file "c:/emacs/ess-svn/lisp/ess-site.el")  %% set for your system

    RMH> Then start R with M-x R

    RMH> options(editor='c:/emacs/emacs-22.1/bin/emacsclient')  ## set for your
    RMH> system

    RMH> tmp <- 1:3
    RMH> edit(tmp)
    RMH> ## in the edit window change it to 1:30
    RMH> ## end the edit session with C-x # y

    RMH> The *R* buffer comes back with the edited value displayed.
    RMH> Assign the value if you want to keep it, for example,
    RMH> newtmp <- edit(tmp)

If other  Windows-ESS users can confirm that emacsclient works
fine, we could also simplify the ESS customization code a bit.

    RMH> The "almost" part is because I am seeing the message
    RMH> Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, nil
    RMH> I don't know why it is there.  It doesn't seem to interfere, so
    RMH> I am ignoring it.

    RMH> History:

    RMH> When we wrote the gnuclient command into ESS, emacsclient wasn't available
    RMH> on Windows.  Beginning with emacs 22 it is included when you download emacs.

Hmm, what about Xemacs ?

I vaguely remember that Xemacs did not have/support 'emacsclient'
but only 'gnuclient' .. even on Unix-alikes

?

Regards, Martin