[ESS] Font problem (Apostrophes, CR, LF?)

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri May 9 17:28:38 CEST 2008

This happens when

- R is using a UTF-8 (unicode) locale
- but the *R* process runs in a iso-latin1 locale
  { Emacs typically shows  "-1" at the very left of the mode-line }

There are different workarounds available depending on what you
want to do.

A simple one is to run everything in the standard locale "C"
(which also uses ``something like English'' for the messages in R) :

e.g. starting from a shell / terminal :

     LANG=C emacs

or directly  {doing the equivalent of  "M-x R"} :

     LANG=C emacs -f R

Hope this helps,
Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich