[ESS] ess-remote

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Thu May 1 17:22:40 CEST 2008

Jurgen Sidgman wrote:
> Ok. This morning I finally got some time and did as suggested in previous
> emails: I opened emacs, I started ssh, I started sas (with -stdio), then
> ess-remote. In a new buffer I open my remote file (also using ssh). Then I
> sent the buffer to the ssh process where sas was previously started and then
> I got the error message:
>
> Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
>
> I don't get what I am doing wrong.
>
> Thank you all
>
> jurgen
>
> PS: neither the server nor the local host are windows.

Is this an interactive session?  I doubt that this will work.  To see
run the command M-x ess-sas-interactive

If this seems to work, then there is no fault with ESS since this
tests all of the iESS code.  The problem stems from the need to see
remote pipes from your local machine.  If that is
the case, you will see this has been discussed in the archives before.
The workaround is to use batch SAS.

Rodney