[ESS] recognizing R-alpha with ESS

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Thu Mar 27 17:18:16 CET 2008

 >     MWK> Martin,
 >     MWK> I have R-alpha in my ~/R_HOME and a link to it in my ~/bin. R-alpha is
 >     MWK> invokable using ./R-alpha from either directory from
 >     MWK> bash.
 >
 > but is your "~/bin" in your PATH -- or more importantly in the
 > PATH your emacs is using ?
 >
 >   Try  C-h v  exec-path

Yep, I think Martin is right.  For Emacs to find "R-alpha", you need
to be able to run "R-alpha" from any directory; above you state it can
be run using "./R-alpha" in just the two directories, so it won't
work.  in your bash shell, add somethng like:

export PATH="$PATH:$HOME/bin/"

and restart a bash shell, and try emacs agagin.