[ESS] Problem with ess tab-completion when max.print option is set too low

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Fri Mar 7 20:09:14 CET 2008

 > This took me a bit to track down.  In my ESS process buffer, sometimes
 > tab-completion was not working on certain functions (noticed it with
 > unique), yet was working with other functions in the base package.
 >
 > In my .Rprofile, I have set some options, including:
 >
 > options(max.print = 1000) ## default is 99999
 >
 > This is what seems to cause the behavior.  If I have max.print set to
 > 1000 and start R through ESS, and then type uniq<TAB>, it will not find
 > any completions for unique. ("No completions for uniq" is displayed in
 > minibuffer.)
 >
 > When I remove that option, uniq<TAB> does what I expect.

thanks for this report, I can confirm this behaviour.  (uni<TAB> also
shows a nice difference -- with max.print set to 1000, completion
suggests just 'uniroot').

I'm not sure what the solution here -- one option might be for us to
temporarily ensure max.print is set high enough when completing, but
that might have unknown side effects.

If we switched our completion mechanism to use rcompgen would that
help?

Stephen