[ESS] help() and library() in R return "... cat: not found"

N. Eiji Nawa globusbogus at yahoo.co.jp
Thu Mar 6 02:28:22 CET 2008

Thanks, Martin, Richard, Vincent and Rodney!!

I managed to solve the problem. A summary for the record.

I first followed Richard's suggestion and checked the path
in R within ess/emacs using the command below.

The PATH variable didn't reflect the definitions in either
~/.tcshrc or ~/.bashrc - in fact, it reflected the PATH
definition in ~/.emacs - something that I had added a long
time ago to solve an issue with another application...

The command I had in ~/.emacs was

(setenv "PATH" "/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:$PATH")

which for some reason I don't know didn't work for R (it
did work for the original purpose I had added the line in
the first place...)

Replacing the old definition with the following worked for
both R and the other application:

(setenv "PATH" (concat "/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin" ":"
(getenv "PATH")))

Anyway, now it's everything working fine!!!

Thanks a lot, again!

Eiji