[ESS] Emacs Input Method and / or Coding System

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Sat Jun 28 23:18:59 CEST 2008

Le sam. 28 juin à 04:09, Stephen Eglen a écrit :

> gerald.jean at dgag.ca wrote:
>> I use Emacs every day and all day, I mostly run Splus trhrough ESS
>> and
>> write a lot of doc. (in French) with LaTeX through Auctex.  After I
>> run
>> Emacs for a little while, for reasons unknown to me, the keyboard
>> suddenly
>> change its behaviour I can't anymore type accented letters or LaTeX
>> "\", or
>> Splus comment character "#", or "~" and any special characters.  The
>> behaviour doesn't seem to be mode specific since it happens in ESS
>> mode as
>> well as in latex mode.  So far the only cure I found is to shutdown
>> Emacs
>> and start over again, it happens several times a day which gets
>> pretty
>> frustrating.
>>
>> I am running Emacs 22.1 on an XP machine, this behaviour started
>> when I
>> upgraded from Emacs 21.3 to 22.1 several months ago.  I am using
>> version
>> 3.6 of ESS.  I also run ESS 3.6 through Emacs 21.3.1 on a Linux
>> box, over a
>> network, I never have this problem on that machine?
>
> Have you tried Vincent Goulet's package of Emacs + ESS on windows?  My
> guess is that it should work well for English+French; here is the page
> in French:
>
>  http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/ressources/emacs/
>
> or English:
>  http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/ressources/emacs/

I would love to say to I don't have this problem using my
distribution, but my karma is to maintain software I don't really use
on a daily basis.

However, what I can share is this: I use Aquamacs based on GNU Emacs
22.1 in a pattern similar to Gerald's (AUCTeX, ESS, French and
English) and I have never seen this weird behavior.

> Thanks again Vincent for this package.

As I always reply to this: glad it can be useful to a wider audience
than my students.

Vincent