[ESS] looking for input on possible ess-rdired improvement

Erik Iverson iverson at biostat.wisc.edu
Thu Jun 12 04:53:56 CEST 2008

Hello -

I recently discovered ess-rdired, and really like having it available.
It is useful to me as is, but I was thinking of ways to make it even
more so.

The first thing I thought of was that I wanted to see output from the
str() and/or summary() R functions for a given object.

This differs slightly from the current commands implemented (for
example, type 'y' in the ess-rdired buffer to see the 'mode' of an
object in the echo area) in that the output can be much longer in either
the str() or the summary() case.

So, inspired by the R function arguments tooltips, I wrote a function to
view the output of the str() command in a tooltip.  This seems to work
fine, with the caveat being the tooltip shows up wherever the mouse
happens to be (same as R function tooltips).

Is this sort of functionality desired in ESS?  What I have now may be a
bit trivial, but I can send my code if the ESS authors would like it
included.  I have a couple of ideas for this mode, this was just my
first one. Any comments?

Best,
Erik Iverson