[ESS] Command completion (redux)

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Jun 10 16:41:00 CEST 2008

Until recently I have been able to get command completion to work using
<TAB>, in an inferior R buffer for both function names, as well as paths
(by adding utils::rc.settings(file = TRUE) to my .Rprofile file, thanks
to Deepayan Sarkar).

Now, however when I type a part of a command or a path and hit <TAB>, I
get 'Wrong type argument: stringp, nil'. Trying to use the 'old school'
method of M-<TAB> is even worse, as I get things prepended rather than
completed (e.g., Swea M-<TAB> gives me  c:/Documents and Settings/Jim/My
Documents/Analyses/Kaufman/Rutkowski/First set 6-9-08/Swea).

I don't think I have made any fundamental changes to my Emacs/ESS setup
other than updating when new versions come out. Anyway, I have tried
Vincent Goulet's modified Emacs as well as the 'regular' win32 binary
from GNU Emacs (GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) and I get the
same result. I run ESS from an updated svn source (updated today), so
that should be > 5.3.7.

Perusing the ESS sources I see ess-R-complete-object-name which I tried
to activate using

(define-key inferior-ess-mode-map "\t" 'ess-R-complete-object-name)

in my .emacs file, however no joy.

I assume I am missing something obvious, but it escapes me. Any suggestions?

Best,

Jim

--
James W. MacDonald, M.S.