[ESS] take screenshot of active R Graphics window problem (linux)

Thu Jul 3 21:20:34 CEST 2008

On Jul 3, 2008, at 6:55 AM, G. Jay Kerns wrote:

> Dear Stephen,
>

>> 1. If you want a picture of the active device, why not use the R
>> facilities
>> of copying device to a file, e.g. dev.copy2pdf and that way you can
>> get
>> a nice vector output instead of a raster.
>
> It hadn't occurred to me to try this.  But now that you mention it,
> yes, I would much rather prefer vector instead of PNG.  I have tried
> it out and I like it much better!  :-)

While on this path you might also want to learn that it is different
to do
   plot(1:10)
   dev.copy2pdf
compared to doing
   pdf()
   plot(1:10)
   dev.off()

The defaults for the different devices are sometimes slightly
different. You can also generate postscript, png and svg from the
command line.

Kasper