[ESS] File mode specification error

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jan 17 02:10:11 CET 2008

 > Is there any fix or workaround for this yet (beyond using emacs21,
 > that is)? A lot of people will start encountering this now that the
 > default emacs on OS X is 22.1.1.

I just had a look; the problem is that the file
noweb-font-lock-mode.el is not being loaded, and that is where the
function noweb-font-lock-mode is.

A work around should be to add
(require 'noweb-font-lock-mode) at the start of your ESS
initialisation.

Alternatively, try:

(setq ess-noweb-use-font-lock t)

before loading ESS.

The issue seems to be that the variable takes the value of
'window-system' by default; with "emacs22 -nw" that variable has te
value nil and yet font locking is still possible, so we need to change
that default... but that's for another day!

Stephen