[ESS] ess 5.3.6; Suggest that some ESS[S] mode bindings also work in ESS Help mode

Tim Hesterberg timh at insightful.com
Mon Jan 14 17:53:29 CET 2008

Thanks Martin,

I didn't realize about the one-letter equivalents for some of the
commands.  That is a good idea.  However, there are two caveats:

(1) This is inconsistent - in Ess-help mode some key commands have
one-letter versions, while others have longer commands that are consistent
with Ess[S] mode.
				Ess[S]		Help
ess-eval-line-and-step		C-c C-n		l
ess-eval-line			C-c C-j		C-c C-j
ess-display-help-on-object	C-c C-v		h

(2) User/brain interface.  I work best in emacs when I don't have to
think about emacs -- my fingers automatically do the keystrokes to
invoke an emacs command without me thinking about it.  This works best
if the same keystrokes work in all contexts, or at least in all
contexts that I will switch between frequently.

So I have no objection to one-letter bindings, but I would like the
longer bindings also defined.  I can do this for myself, but I think
that others would value this, so they don't have to learn different
sets of bindings for different modes.

Tim