[ESS] ESS Fontify Problem?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Jan 9 10:44:37 CET 2008

    SpG> How can one break out of an apparently infinite "Fontifying" loop?
    SpG> Somone suggested doing "C-c C-c C-g to break the loop (might need to do
    SpG> it a couple of times). Once you get the prompt back, try M-x
    SpG> font-mode-lock to turn off fontifying and then M-x font-mode-lock to
    SpG> turn it back on."  This has worked sometimes but not others.

    SpG> I'm trying to use 'debug' with a function with an argument that
    SpG> references a data.frame with 2245 rows and 315 columns.  When 'debug'
    SpG> traps that function, it wants to print the entire 2245 x 315 data.frame
    SpG> before it prints the function.  Reducing options('max.print') has helped
    SpG> with this "fontifying" problem in other contexts.  Here, I got the same
    SpG> result with options(max.print=0) as with larger numbers.

    SpG> Attached are a couple of "print screen" images illustrating the
    SpG> problem.  I think I'm using "ESS version 5.2.11" with "C:\Program
    SpG> Files\XEmacs\XEmacs-21.4.19\i586-pc-win32\xemacs.exe", but I don't even
    SpG> know how to accurately identify which version I'm using of either ESS or
    SpG> XEmacs.

    SpG> Do you have any suggestions?

Yes, though it may not be the one you like:

Please use the current ESS and not a very outdated one as it
comes with your Xemacs.

Further, if possible, on Windows, at least for this
bug reporting/diagnosing exercise
If you'd use Vincent Goulet's  (*) [GNU emacs + ESS] combo setup,
quite a few of us would be able to reproduce what you did.

[and a Micro-$oft Word attachment of a screen shot is not too
 helpful for that, at least not for me; if possible please
 append your *R* buffer as text or even better just the "minimal &
 reproducible" R commands]

-----
(*) see  http://ESS.r-project.org/

    BTW: I've edited the ESS web pages a bit,
    also with a new 	http://ESS.r-project.org/downloads/
    page.

  and... if there are any volunteers to make these few pages into
  nice / cool pages .. that can still be handled with a few
  (PHP,HTML,CSS) files (and not with a full WCMS)
   we'd be very grateful.

Martin