[ESS] using tramp for remote machine processes

Sebastian P. Luque spluque at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 15:10:48 CET 2008

Hi,

Are there any problems with using TRAMP tools to start and interact with
a process on a remote machine, rather than ess-remote?  I find it much
more convenient to do the following:

C-x C-f R-mode-file RET
M-x R RET
/scp:remotehost:/path/to/working-directory/ RET

than starting a remote shell (with ssh, as the ESS manual shows) and
using ess-remote.  In fact, one might even specify the ssh protocol in
the TRAMP path specification above.  If I'm not overlooking some problem
with this, wouldn't this be a good pointer to have in the manual?

Cheers,

--
Seb