[ESS] reduce frass in SAS work directory

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Fri Feb 1 16:54:23 CET 2008

Kristian S. Omland wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> My work is leaving many files (e.g., data sets that I never intended to
> keep as permanent) behind in the /work directory. I am the only one in
> my shop using ESS, so I suspect this results from running SAS as a
> subprocess. Is there something I can put in my .emacs to prevent this?
>

> Using Fedora Core 3, GNU Emacs 21.3.1, ESS 5.3.6, SAS 9.1.3.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Kristian

Hi Kristian:

This might be a good question for SAS-L since I don't think ESS is
involved.  The default SAS option is WORKTERM, or delete the WORK
library at termination (you can check your setting with PROC OPTIONS).
I do see the same thing occasionally, even though, I never use SAS
interactively so I don't think that's it.  However, I've never bothered
to try to figure out why this occurs.  SAS has provided the convenient
script cleanwork that I run occasionally to delete all of the stray WORK
libraries (it won't delete those associated with a job in progress).

Rodney