[ESS] Errors in Makefile

Neil Shephard nshephard at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 11:04:07 CET 2008

Hi,

I use a GNU/Linux distribution called Gentoo (http://www.gentoo.org/)
that installs _everything_ from source.

With the recent new release of ess-5.3.10 I requested a version bump
for the ess version that is in this distributions package management
system and was informed by the maintainer that there is a minor error
in the doc/Makefile that means that the ${DOCDIR}/html and
${DOCDIR}/refcard directories are not created, as the following lines
are thrown up....

cp -p html/ess.html html/readme.html
/var/tmp/portage/app-emacs/ess-5.3.10/image//usr/share/doc/ess-5.3.10/html
cp: target
`/var/tmp/portage/app-emacs/ess-5.3.10/image//usr/share/doc/ess-5.3.10/html' is
not a directory
make[1]: *** [install-other-docs] Error 1

Its a minor problem as it doesn't prevent installation of ESS at all,
and a workaround has been added to the package management system to
overcome this (packages are installed via scripts called ebuilds and
the build now creates that directory), but I felt it pertinent to
report back on this.

Thanks for all the work the writers and maintainers put into ESS its
very much appreciated.

Neil

--
"We should make things as simple as possible, but not simpler."  -
Anon (not Albert Einstein)

Email - nshephard at gmail.com
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/