[ESS] strange behaviour of tab completion

tyler tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Tue Aug 26 19:08:28 CEST 2008

Hi,

I'm getting some strange behaviour in the inferior process buffer when I
try and use tab completion. It sometimes works just as you'd expect,
i.e., if I have an object called erica in my workspace, er<tab> produces
erica. But erica is a dataframe, with several columns that start with
's'. erica$s<tab> doesn't give me any completions, but rather the
minibuffer is filled with ten lines of lisp code, beginning with
"(quote string-less-p)))"

This happens when I try and get the arguments for a function, built-in R
commands, or objects I've created in my workspace, but not consistently.
I get the same behaviour in a script buffer. A quick check reveals that
I can get completion of erica (my dataframe) but not the columns of the
dataframe, read.table, cmdscale, but not for plot or points. Trying
again, I see that read.t<tab> gives me the completion, but
read.table<tab> gives me the funny mini-buffer message.

Any idea what might be the cause of this? I'm using ESS version 5.3.8,
svn revision 3944, with ess-eldoc turned on, emacs 23.0.60.1, Debian
Testing.

Thanks,

Tyler

--