[ESS] German umlaute in ESS, Emacs & R

svga at arcor.de svga at arcor.de
Fri Aug 1 13:51:16 CEST 2008

I agree, using non-ASCII characters in variable names is a hassle. Unfortunately, these variable names are common in my working area. I find this issue interesting, because german umlauts as a value in a variable is no problem:

> g <- "Säge"; plot(1:10, ylab=g)
[1] "Säge"

works, but

> ä <- 2
Error: unexpected input in "\201"

Btw.: I have no problems with these under Linux.

Best, Sven