[ESS] Does R fix() or edit() work for you these days?]

8rino-Luca Pantani ottorino-luca.pantani at unifi.it
Mon Sep 10 18:23:19 CEST 2007

Martin Maechler ha scritto:
> My opinion still applies:
>
>    Using fix() or edit() is "wrong in principle"
>    when working with ESS.
>
> Martin

 From my non-programmer-non-statistician I sincerely trust you, Michael,
but please, could you be so kind to spend some time in briefly
explaining me what's wrong with fix/edit under ESS ?
I mostly use fix/edit only to see values in large dataframes, when I'm
enough lazy not to use indexes.
For such a use, which are the "right" alternatives, other than lines
like  df.dataframe[101:107, 2] or df.dataframe[df.dataframe$FACTOR=="foo", ]

BTW Which are your favourite way of naming objects ?
In other words, for a dataframe, do you prefer df.foo. foo.df,
(plain)foo or what else ?
Are there some rules to avoid/reduce error in working with XEmacs/ESS/R ?
I mean rules such as naming objects in dataframe always in maiuscule,
vectors always in minuscule and things like that.

--
Ottorino