[ESS] XEmacs or GNU Emacs

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Sep 5 09:41:23 CEST 2007

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007, Martin Maechler wrote:

>    NJ> Thanks Rodney.
>    NJ> This means that for now, I should use either native xemacs or unset the DISPLAY every time I start cygwin.
>
> or -- excuse the "heresy" -- switch from Xemacs to GNU emacs.
> For the latter, you can get the nicely windows pre-installed
> setup from Vincent Goulet's site.

Which is a question I have recently been considering.

I have used XEmacs for a few years. My usage is for R with ESS, TeX with
AUCTeX, sweave, .Rd files for my R package, a bit of mySQL and html.

Does either XEmacs or GNU Emacs have an edge these days? I have got the
impression the Emacs has advanced more than XEmacs recently.

Any opinions?

David Scott

David Scott	Department of Statistics, Tamaki Campus
 		The University of Auckland, PB 92019
 		Auckland 1142,    NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 86830		Fax: +64 9 373 7000
Email:	d.scott at auckland.ac.nz

Graduate Officer, Department of Statistics
Director of Consulting, Department of Statistics