[ESS] An Emacs question.

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Oct 16 08:38:47 CEST 2007

Salut Gerald

    gj> Hello there,
    gj> I apologize for asking an Emacs question on this forum but I'm not
    gj> subscribed to an Emacs list at the moment, I urgently need this to work and
    gj> I know there is a lot of Emacs expertise on this list.

    gj> For years I routinely use Splus through Emacs' ESS, great packages, thanks
    gj> to all contributors.  Last week I upgraded my PC's Emacs distribution from
    gj> 21.3 to 22.1, it "almost" works as well as 21.3 did, one major problem, for
    gj> me, I have not succeeded to resolve.

    >> From my PC's Emacs I daily access files, through "ftp", on a remote Linux
    gj> server, running Emacs as well, this was working as a charm in 21.3, and on
    gj> previous versions of Emacs, but won't work on 22.1.1, here is what I do:

    gj> C-x d      ;; then in the mini-buffer I enter my user name and path to the
    gj> Linux server.

    gj> /jeg002 at actul01:/home/jeg002/splus/Splus
    gj> ;; I ** instantly ** get a "login failed" message in the
    gj> mini buffer
    gj> ;; and the *Messages* buffer displays the following.

    gj> tramp: Opening connection for jeg002 at actul01 using ssh...
    gj> tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell
    gj> tramp: Waiting 60s for prompt from remote shell
    gj> tramp-process-actions: Login failed

    gj> ;; the line saying that "tramp" waited 60s for prompt from the remote shell
    gj> is not
    gj> ;; correct, the four lines show up as soon as I hit enter when prompted for
    gj> the
    gj> ;; directory name by dired.  I never even get prompted for my password?

"Yes", from Emacs 21 to 22,
there was the "big change" from  Ange-FTP to Tramp.
When using some emacs-22 *pre*-releases, tramp did not work *at all*
for me, and that had even be a princpal reason why I had given
up using "emacs 22 alpha" at all.
With the release (Emacs 22.1), I've found that "they" must have
fixed the most blatant tramp problems, because now I could use
it.  Still, I found it to differ a bit from previous ange-ftp...

Now,
you have

    gj> In my ".emacs" file I have:

    gj> (setq ange-ftp-ftp-program-name        ;; works with emacs 21 and ange-ftp
    gj> (if (w32-using-nt)
    gj> (progn
    gj> (if (file-exists-p "c:/Emacs/i386/ftp.exe")   ;; nt and
    gj> w2000
    gj> "c:/windows/system32/ftp.exe"  ;; xp
    gj> ))
    gj> "c:/windows/ftp.exe"))          ;; 95/98/ME

I would assume that 'ange-ftp....' settings are no longer
relevant in Emacs 22 at all, since ange-ftp has been replaced
with tramp.

So I think you should look for solutions setting
tramp-<foo>-<bar> variables rather than ange-ftp ones

Martin

    gj> If I run the programe: "c:/Emacs/i386/ftp.exe" from a DOS shell it runs
    gj> fine.

    gj> Anyone has an idea on how to get "ftp" running from Emacs-22.1.1 on Windows
    gj> 2000.

    gj> Thanks for any insight,

    gj> Gérald Jean
    gj> Conseiller senior en statistiques, Actuariat
    gj> télephone            : (418) 835-4900 poste (7639)
    gj> télecopieur          : (418) 835-6657
    gj> courrier électronique: gerald.jean at dgag.ca

    gj> "In God we trust, all others must bring data"  W. Edwards Deming

    gj> Le message ci-dessus, ainsi que les documents l'accompagnant, sont destinés uniquement aux personnes identifiées et peuvent contenir des informations
    gj> privilégiées, confidentielles ou ne pouvant être divulguées. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez le détruire.

    gj> This communication (and/or the attachments) is intended for named recipients only and may contain privileged or confidential information which is not
    gj> to be disclosed. If you received this communication by mistake please destroy all copies.