[ESS] R starts slowly in ESS

Richard M. Heiberger rmh at temple.edu
Wed May 23 14:45:42 CEST 2007

> Sorry, I forgot to add the operating system, I am working on a Mac and
> I do not observe the mentioned problems on a Linux installation of R
> 2.5 and ESS 5.3.4

I have not personnally used R on Mac, so someone else will have to respond
to the primary question.  I do have some comments below on secondary questions.

> Meanwhile, I found out that the problem is dependent on the presence
> of a saved workspace in a .RData file. For example, if I start R with
> ESS in a new directory that does not contain a .RData file, it takes
> 2-3 seconds to show the prompt and this message appears:
>
> > if(!exists("baseenv", mode="function")) baseenv <- function() NULL
> > options(STERM='iESS', editor='gnuclient -q')

I am surprised that that these two lines appear only the first time a
directory is used, not after restoring .RData.

> After generating a .RData file by creating a vector a<-c(1:10) and
> exiting R with saving the workspace, re-starting R takes about 45
> seconds and a different prompt appears (without the aforementioned
> message):
>
> [Previously saved workspace restored]

What is that prompt that that came through the email as "ESC [0m"?
Are the options set correctly?
Do you have gnuclient on the MAC?  What happens when you type
  edit(anova)
  page(ls)
?

> Starting R from the bash shell however does not show this difference.
>
> Here is the output of sessionInfo():
>
> R version 2.5.0 (2007-04-23)
> powerpc-apple-darwin8.9.0
>
> locale:
>
> attached base packages:
> [1] "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"     "datasets"  "methods"
> [7] "base"
>

> > In addition please load both the previous R and the current R
> > using the current current ESS.  Keep track of time.
> >
> > M-x R-2.4.1
> > M-x R-2.5.0
> >
> > If you still have the previous ESS on your machine, also use that one.
> >

> Staring R with version number does not work for me, and unfortunately
> I do not have the previous ESS on my computer anymore.

Open a file "tmp.r".  In the Emacs Menu bar, what is the contents of the
    ESS/Start Process/other/
menu item?

> Best,
>
> Georg