[ESS] R starts slowly in ESS

Georg Otto georg.otto at tuebingen.mpg.de
Wed May 23 11:39:41 CEST 2007

"Richard M. Heiberger" <rmh at temple.edu> writes:

> We need all the information that the R posting guide requests

>    and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
>
> at least the computer name and operating system.

Sorry, I forgot to add the operating system, I am working on a Mac and
I do not observe the mentioned problems on a Linux installation of R
2.5 and ESS 5.3.4

Meanwhile, I found out that the problem is dependent on the presence
of a saved workspace in a .RData file. For example, if I start R with
ESS in a new directory that does not contain a .RData file, it takes
2-3 seconds to show the prompt and this message appears:

> if(!exists("baseenv", mode="function")) baseenv <- function() NULL
> options(STERM='iESS', editor='gnuclient -q')

After generating a .RData file by creating a vector a<-c(1:10) and
exiting R with saving the workspace, re-starting R takes about 45
seconds and a different prompt appears (without the aforementioned
message):

[Previously saved workspace restored]

Starting R from the bash shell however does not show this difference.

Here is the output of sessionInfo():

R version 2.5.0 (2007-04-23)
powerpc-apple-darwin8.9.0

locale:

attached base packages:
[1] "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"     "datasets"  "methods"
[7] "base"

> In addition please load both the previous R and the current R
> using the current current ESS.  Keep track of time.
>
> M-x R-2.4.1
> M-x R-2.5.0
>
> If you still have the previous ESS on your machine, also use that one.

Staring R with version number does not work for me, and unfortunately
I do not have the previous ESS on my computer anymore.

Best,

Georg