[ESS] Avoid ssh from catching C-c C-c with ess-remote?

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Fri Mar 9 23:01:57 CET 2007

Ross Boylan <ross at biostat.ucsf.edu> writes:

> On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 13:21 -0800, Seth Falcon wrote:
>> Recently, I have been using M-x ssh to get a remote terminal, starting
>> R, and then using M-x ess-remote to interact with this remote R using
>> local ESS.
>>
>> However, if I enter C-c C-c to interrupt R, the ssh process receives
>> the signal and exits (killing both R and the ssh session in the
>> process).
>>
>> I've now pulled the plug on myself twice and need to find a
>> workaround.  Any suggestions?  The same thing happens if I start a
>> shell using M-x shell and then ssh on the command line.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> + seth
>>
> Maybe open a second ssh session, find the PID of the R process, and send
> it a signal (SIGINT?)?

Well, the problem is that my fingers are trained to hit C-c C-c when I
get into a syntax error continuation loop in R or when I enter a
computation that I realize is wrong and going to take awhile.

So I need to find a way to make C-c C-c do what I want :-)

For now, I realized that I can remap C-c C-c to something harmless and
at least prevent silly mistakes.

> ssh says that ~B sends a break if the protocols support it; I'm not sure
> if that's what you want, but it might be worth trying.

What is '~B'?

> With luck, someone else will have a better idea, but one of these might
> do some good.

My fingers are crossed. ;-)

+ seth

--
Seth Falcon | Computational Biology | Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
http://bioconductor.org