[ESS] ess-cust.el

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Jun 30 13:50:56 CEST 2007

    DD> I always change ess-cust.el so that inferior-R-args
    DD> contains "--no-save --no-restore-data --silent" rather
    DD> than the default "".  Can I make this redefinition in my
    DD> .emacs file, rather than having to alter the source code
    DD> every time I download it? I tried just sticking the
    DD> entry below in there, but it didn't seem to take
    DD> effect. I had a quick look in the elisp manual, but
    DD> wasn't very enlightened. Would someone mind telling me
    DD> the 'proper' way of doing this?

Indeed, "proper" is DEFINITELY not changing any ESS source code.
The point about customized variables is that you can customize
them via the custom-"GUI" and then "click" to save them.

Programmatically you'd add something like {my own setting}:

(custom-set-variables
 '(inferior-R-args "--no-restore-history --no-save ")
)

to your ~/.emacs

For everyone else: The '--no-save' is particularly useful,
because you can quit R without being asked about saving
(``real men^H^H^HESS users never save or load the image ..''),
and hence kill + restart quickly via

     C-c C-q M-x R [return][return]

Martin Maechler