[ESS] Sven's ESS additions {was "How to improve ESS .. shortcuts"}

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Jun 20 17:12:18 CEST 2007

    NS> Re-sending as the default Reply-to was to the author.
    NS> On 6/20/07, Neil Shephard <nshephard at gmail.com> wrote:
    >> On 6/20/07, Ronaldo Reis Junior <chrysopa at gmail.com>
    >> wrote: > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > I use XEmacs+ESS to work with R. It is possible to
    >> improve syntax highlighting > to make a more readable
    >> code, somethink like highlighting functions, R > command
    >> and argumments?
    >> >
    >> > To comment severals lines I need to use M-x
    >> comment-region and C-u M-x > comment-region to make it
    >> uncommented. It is a very long command, it is > possible
    >> to assign a shortcut to this, like C-d to comment and
    >> C-Shift-d to > uncomment the code? Or, it is possible to
    >> put a menu entry in ESS menu?
    >>
    >> This is something you can do yourself, after all, each
    >> person's preference for key chains may differ.
    >>
    >> You don't mentinon which OS your using, nor versions of
    >> XEmacs/ESS/R, so I'm assuming your on a *NIX system, if
    >> your on M$-windows then you will likely have to add it to
    >> _emacs, not sure on the location of that file though.
    >>
    >> Simply add the following constructs to your ~/.emacs file
    >> and modify them for your desired commands
    >>
    >> (define-key keymap "keystroke" 'command-name)
    >> (global-set-key "keystroke" 'command-name) (local-set-key
    >> "keystroke" 'command-name)
    >>
    >> You will have to substitute 'keymap', 'keystroke' and
    >> 'command-name' in the above lines to reflect your desired
    >> key-mappings.

    NS> In addition you may find the thread that started on the
    NS> 9th April by Sven Hartenstein who has written some very
    NS> useful code of interest (I suspect this functionality
    NS> may be working its way into ESS at some point).

It already has -- in the development sources of ESS,
at https://svn.r-project.org/ESS/trunk/

We did not take any of Sven's extra key bindings with one
exception:  Making  "("  ``magic'' in *.R buffers

Before releasing it (i.e. ESS 5.3.5), I'm waiting for some beta testing
experience by ESS-core members,
and corresponding encouraging confirmation reports.

If some of you would like to use the pre-release and report (to
ESS-core at ...) about it, that would be terrific.

Martin