[ESS] Emacs 22 -- much less fontification ..

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Jun 14 16:50:13 CEST 2007

Since people are interested about Emacs 22 here..

Some of those of you who have started to use Emacs 22 (as
opposed to 21.x) will have noticed that "the new emacs" does
less fontification in some contexts.

At least I did, and I don't like it particularly.
I've searched a bit (in 'Options' and 'Custom' menus) and found
nothing obvious.

Notably in  *R* , strings are no longer fontfied,
and "## ..." (comments) are fontified when entering but no
longer afterwards --- where all input is bold-faced but not
color-fontified anymore.
I assume this is a new feature for all comint-based modes?

{BTW: Fontification in tex-mode {AucTeX} has also considerably
      deteriorated at least for the cases "my" users and I have seen}.

We are grateful for hints.
Martin