[ESS] Editing Rd files in Aquamacs Emacs (MacOS X)

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Mon Jun 4 16:07:35 CEST 2007

Le 07-06-04 à 06:31, Jari Oksanen a écrit :

> Dear ESS people,
>
> I assume that MacOS Emacs/Aquamacs list would be a more appropriate
> place for
> this query, but they told me that I'm not allowed to post there.
> Perhaps
> somebody here can give a simple answer (like 'no, it can't be done').
>
> Is it possible to use nice editing mode for Rd files (R help files)
> in Aquamacs
> Emacs in MacOS X? I upgraded to the latest version I found
> (Aquamacs 0.9.9d) and
> it came completely without the needed lisp file essddr.elc in its
> ess-mode/lisp
> directory. The CVS version of Aquamacs seems to have the essddr.elc
> file, but I
> couldn't see any visible consequences of using that. Neither did it
> help to
> install locally the latest version of ESS (5.3.4). I assume that
> the conclusion
> is that the mode for editing Rd files is not available in Aquamacs.
> Can anybody
> please correct me.
>
> Cheers, jari oksanen

Hi Jari,

I never had any difficulties editing Rd files with Aquamacs, it's
that the Rd-mode does not get activated by default upon loading a
*.Rd file. An 'M-x Rd-mode RET' should do the trick. If you want Rd-
mode to activate automatically, add something like

(setq auto-mode-alist
       (append '(("\\.Rnw$" . Rnw-mode))
	      auto-mode-alist))

in your ~/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs Emacs/Preferences.el.

HTH    Vincent

---
   Vincent Goulet, Associate Professor
   École d'actuariat