[ESS] A course on Emacs

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Tue Jan 30 19:30:08 CET 2007

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Stephen Eglen wrote:

> (This is not strictly to do with ESS, but you might learn something
> here that will carry over to ESS...)

You are right.

I cannot believe that I never learned about 'M-x occur RET REGEXP RET'
till paging thru the first set of slides!!

In the buffer of an Sweave file,

 	M-x occur RET << RET

provides a buffer with all the lines that start a code chunk. Mouse-2 on a
line in that buffer moves the point in the Sweave buffer to that line and
scrolls the window to display it.

Likewise, in an iESS buffer running R,

 	M-x occur RET ^[>+] RET

provides a buffer with all of the commands I've typed. For me this is a
vast improvement over hitting 'M-p' (comint-previous-input) a zillion
times to find a command to edit. I might have to bind this command
sequence to its own key!

Thanks,

Chuck