[ESS] Emacs on Gentoo can't find ESS when starting in a Konsole (KDE xterm)

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Wed Jan 24 02:58:51 CET 2007

'konsole' is not exactly 'xterm'

I run R version 2.4.1 (2006-12-18), ESS 5.3.3, on gentoo
( 2.6.18-gentoo-r6 #4 SMP ... x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU  ) at the
office.

I cannot try konsole right now because I am off-site, but starting emacs
from 'Run' dialog, I was always able to 'M-x R' with no problems.
Likewise, I can ssh from off-site, start emacs, and 'M-x R'.

I have

 	(load "<path-to-ess-site>/ess-site")

in my $HOME/.emacs file as suggested in

 	http://stat.ethz.ch/ESS/Manual/ess.html#Installation