[ESS] frame splitting annoyance

McGehee, Robert Robert.McGehee at geodecapital.com
Tue Dec 18 21:15:17 CET 2007

ESS gurus,
I'm a happy user of ESS 5.3.6 with R 2.6.1, though keep running into a
'feature' that I want to turn off. I use more than one monitor and
generally I write a script in a buffer in one frame and have R running
interactively in another frame on a second monitor.

Sometimes I execute slow commands (using something like C-c, C-n) and
continue programming in my script frame (monitor one). Well, somewhere
between ESS 5.3.3 and 5.3.6 an undesirable feature popped up where as
soon as I add an open parentheses '(' while R is running something my
script, the frame splits in half, beeps, and a message shows up at the
bottom of my screen: 'ESS process not ready. Finish your command before
trying again.'

I don't mind the message or the beep, but why does my frame need to
split while I'm coding? Can I turn this behavior off? When I'm running
an extremely slow command, I'd like to make use of the whole frame
without ESS splitting it.

Example that works for me:
> emacs
C-x 5 2   ## load a second frame
M-x R     ## start R in second frame
M-tab     ## switch focus to first frame
> Sys.sleep(20) C-c C-n ## copy and execute a slow command into my R
buffer.
> abc(    ## eek! frame splits upon pressing '('!

Thanks for any advice,
Robert

Robert McGehee, CFA
Geode Capital Management, LLC
One Post Office Square, 28th Floor | Boston, MA | 02109
Tel: 617/392-8396    Fax:617/476-6389
mailto:robert.mcgehee at geodecapital.com

This e-mail, and any attachments hereto, are intended fo...{{dropped:11}}