[ESS] New version of GNU Emacs 22.1 with ESS 5.3.5

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Wed Aug 29 06:43:58 CEST 2007

Dear all,

As promised last week, I prepared an update of my modified GNU Emacs
22.1 including the latest ESS version, 5.3.5. It is available here:

	http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/emacs

Here is the list of changes:

* Thanks to the new code in ESS to find the most recent version of R,
the inferior-R-program-name variable is no longer "hard wired" in the
site-start.el file. In the few tests I did, the new code works very
well for R installations in the default locations. The relevant
section of the Updates-en.txt file now reads:

     * If R is not installed in the usual (default) location, it may be
       necessary to edit the paths in the site configuration file for
ESS
       to find the R executable. This should also be true for any S-Plus
       installation. The site configuration file is accessed easily
using
       the shortcut in the GNU Emacs program group of the Start menu.

* As per Stephen Eglen's suggestion, I added '(require 'ess-eldoc)'
to the site-start.el file. That's a nifty feature!

* Added the --no-splash option to the Update Site Configuration icon.

Please report any problems with my distribution directly to me.

   Vincent Goulet, Associate Professor
   École d'actuariat
   Université Laval, Québec
   Vincent.Goulet at act.ulaval.ca   http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca